Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Italian Buttercream Gone Runny

Making Italian buttercream frosting--everything was going picture-perfectly until I started adding bits of chilled butter to the egg whites at high speed. Now it's runny like craft glue. What happened?

asked by NatClem over 4 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Hmmm... Did you beat the meringue until it was completely cool? Are you working in a hot kitchen? My suspicion is the mixture got too hot.

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

HLA, you're probably stronger here than I, but I think that your buttercream can probably be salvaged! It doesn't sound like it broke (though maybe it did) but here is a good run down of ways to fix a buttercream in crisis! http://www.thekitchn.com...

SUCCESS! Turns out the problem was me! I got spooked after adding just 1/2 of the butter. Decided to go out in a blaze of buttered glory and dumped the rest in, and when I did, it came together again. Happy endings all around. Thank you both!!