🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Alice Medrich's New Classic Coconut Macaroons

Ef05ce05 87e9 4ef2 ab3e 1301d5a1c4ed  photo on 2012 03 31 at 18.03

I have a question about the recipe "Alice Medrich's New Classic Coconut Macaroons. I just made these and they spread out a lot. A few stayed in nice little piles, but others got a pool of the "goop" around them.

asked by JenM over 5 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

How strange -- did the egg mixture thicken and turn opaque when you cooked it? You can also click through the slideshow on the recipe page to see if yours looked the same along the way. I know it's hard to tell from the way the photo got sized down, but they do look pretty from here!

0151c2a2 87d4 44dc a429 ea60092c1747  img 1607

I had the same problem. . .

According to Shirley Corriher or Bakewise/Cookwise fame, sugar is an *integral* part of a meringue's structure. Without enough sugar, egg whites cannot set properly.

While this recipe clearly isn't a meringue per-se, it does use egg white as a binding agent. Maybe slightly upping the sugar content would help? Hope this helps others with the same spreading issue.