🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: What I Do For Love Bran Muffins

I have a question about the ingredient "Dutch process cocoa powder" on the recipe "What I Do For Love Bran Muffins" from drbabs. Can I substitute regular cocoa powder with some substitution? I have a can of green & black cocoa powder and it doesn't say "Dutch process" so I don't think it is the right type.

asked by melissav over 5 years ago

Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

These are basically interchangeable. "Dutched" cocoa has been treated with alkali so it is not as acidic as un-dutched or "natrual" cocoa is. In recipes using baking soda as leavening, sometimes you need the acidity of natural cocoa to react for leavening. When subbing the other way, however, I don't think you'd run into any severe problems. This website (http://goo.gl/e8Jxq) recommends adding baking soda to help neutralize the batter, but I don't think the level of acidity we're talking about would have much impact on Bran Muffins.