🔕 🔔

8 lb pork butt

what would be the best way to cook a boneless pork butt? Would 4 1/2 hours at 350 be sufficient?

asked by pristine swan over 5 years ago

Rub w salt pepper, transfer to crockpot, add 11 oz beer, and slow cook for 8-9 hours. It's done when it falls apart with the touch of a fork. Then do carnitas tacos or pulled pork sammies!!

I'll politely disagree with Wizard. Pork butt (actually shoulder, how wierd is that) is best suited to slow roasting. I would use it for porchetta seasoned with fennel, rosemary and garlic. 350F is a good working temperature but it's not an hours per pound process (although that's a guideline). Use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature. Meanwhile baste every twenty minutes or so. When it hits 140F pull it out and allow it to rest, tented with foil, for 15 minutes. Go eat.

33f00148 b116 47f0 8789 76ae3bdb2bbb  photo 1

I slow roasted it at 350 degrees for about 5 hours, but you definitely want to test it with a fork if you want it to be falling-off-the-bone tender. You can't overcook it, so if it's still not tender, put it in for a bit longer. http://meatballsandmilkshakes...

I was originally inspired by this post on Serious Eats, but it takes 8 hours at 250 degrees and I didn't have enough time. http://www.seriouseats...

01ae2879 fe93 41d1 89f2 047eabf6410f  dsc 0052

If you have the time, cook it up like pastrami and serve it pulled barbecue style - it's really fantastic. You basically brine the pork overnight in a pickling spice mix (homemade of course), then hot smoke it for several hours at about 225-250 degrees, then braise in a dutch oven at 200 degrees for another several hours. Let it drain, shred the meat and serve with your favorite barbecue sauce. If you have Ruhlman's book "Charcuterie", follow the brisket recipe for the details.

Another option would be to make pork confit, which is amazing. Here's a link to my taste-off for both techniques:

http://hiddenhollowheritagefarm...