🔕 🔔

Egg allergy

A friend is allergic. I have Ener-G egg replacer. Do you like it or do you like alternatives for different applications? I'm going to use it for a meatball this week, but I don't like it for baked goods. I do know about the poor man's cake but what else am I missing when trying to cook for a friend? Is Xanthan gum used for this purpose? She doesn't have any other allergy like gluten.

asked by nutcakes over 5 years ago

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

A classic vegan substitution is to combine a tablespoon of ground flax seeds with a tablespoon of warm water. This combination has binding properties, but I've only used this method a handful of times, so I'm no expert. I've also read about chia seeds being used, as they develop a gelatinous coating when soaked in water, but I've never tried this.
Xanthan gum is used as a texture modifier and stabilizer in many gluten free baked goods. I think you'd be better off without it. For your purposes, consider trying the flax seed trick, but I wouldn't recommend making anything egg-heavy with it (light-textured cakes, meringues, custards, etc.) as it is mostly a binder.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Egg can often be eliminated when it is not the key ingredient. In meatballs, breadcrumbs that are moistened should work. Even in muffins or pancakes, for instance, you can skip the eggs -- just replace the liquid at 1/4 cup per egg. You could search, for instance, vegan muffins in the f52 search box. Egg replacer is mostly starch + leavener... look at the ingredients on the box; I haven't been impressed with it, though it's been around and used for years. Also, you can find pages of subs on a similar level as the flax.

D6c5fe52 3529 43c5 b928 f3a3d47a8430  image steph blue hair crop

Here is a chart with many egg replacements:

http://chefinyou.com/egg...

Keep in mind that egg leaven baked goods and many of the substitutes do not, so you may have to provide more leavening.

Nice chart. Thanks all. Uneful info.