Substitute for pomegranate?

My wife just started a dish that requires pomegranate (the one on the cover of Plenty). I ran out to get the pomegranate and after going to 3 produce markets found out heir out of season. Does anyone know of a proper substitute or should we forego?

ATG117
ATG117 April 15, 2012

I don't think there is a great substitute for pomegranate seeds. If you have preserved lemons on hand, dicing those up and scattering them on top might be a nice touch. The other idea I have is to buy pomegranate juice, reduce it on the stove over low heat until it's syrupy, and drizzle that on top. The to get a nice contrast of textures, you can sprinkle some pine nuts or toasted almonds on top. I happen to think Plenty is a book that allows for plenty of experimentation.

HapppyBee
HapppyBee April 15, 2012

I am not familiar with the recipe you are trying to make, but I just came back from Trader Joe's where they have some already removed from the skin in a plastic container if you live close to one. Good luck!

rickyferrer
rickyferrer April 15, 2012

I booked it to trader joes on bike and made it back before the eggplant was out of the oven. Thanks!

Scott Stephan
Scott Stephan June 28, 2015

Better late than never!: I approximated the tight, bright flavor by macerating some raspberries in reduced balsamic. I'm missing the crunch (A last minute toss of pine nuts?), but the flavor profile is present.

Nancy June 29, 2015

you seem to want the seeds (arils). but if you need pomegranate syrup but can't find it, or don't want to spring for a whole bottle when making one recipe, you can get an approximation of the sweet-sour balance by mixing lemon juice with sweetener of choice (sugar, honey, agave syrup, etc)

Claire Smith
Claire Smith June 29, 2015

I guess it's too late now but I've found frozen pomegranate seeds to be very similar to fresh ones. I'd think they'd work fine in any dish where they were going to be cooked a little; they were even pretty good just thrown in a salad!