ice cream maker

Has anyone tried the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer? If so, what did you think? Worth it?

asked by maryvelasquez over 4 years ago
97a8ddcf b448 426a 9bd8 eed4b204cdb5  hussie icons chl

My friend has that and she loves it. I kind of wish I had it instead of my Cuisinart just because it's less stuff to store.

I like mine, it doesn't make a lot but it works well. A couple tips, freeze it for several days before you use it and freeze all parts together or the stirring part won't fit in the bowl. It does take up a lot of room in the freezer.

Short answer -- yes, it's worth it. I taught The Friend how to make a custard last spring, and since then, he's perfected both coffee and strawberry ice cream, and is working on swirling carmel sauce into an intense vanilla ice cream. Since the top of the KA attachment is open, it's not all that difficult. Since we live outside of the US, a rich, well-flavored home made ice cream is always a hit, so we might be a bit more enthusiastic than if Ben and Jerry's was always available. The attachment lives in the freezer so we don't have to pre-plan too much, but yes, it's bulky.

Yes! Store in the freezer. I clean my bowl after each use and seal it with Press and Seal, then stick it in the bottom of my chest freezer.

Dc6dab61 0a80 4308 b0cf d5d06d9d7ac1  kroka kitchen

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'm going to check it out.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

My only suggestion is to base this on available storage space - you can save $30 or so by going with a standard Cuisinart ice cream maker instead of the KA attachment.

They use the Cuisinart version in many professional kitchens.