ice cream maker

Has anyone tried the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer? If so, what did you think? Worth it?

chl0525
chl0525 April 17, 2012

My friend has that and she loves it. I kind of wish I had it instead of my Cuisinart just because it's less stuff to store.

gary12401
gary12401 April 17, 2012

I like mine, it doesn't make a lot but it works well. A couple tips, freeze it for several days before you use it and freeze all parts together or the stirring part won't fit in the bowl. It does take up a lot of room in the freezer.

Melusine
Melusine April 17, 2012

Short answer -- yes, it's worth it. I taught The Friend how to make a custard last spring, and since then, he's perfected both coffee and strawberry ice cream, and is working on swirling carmel sauce into an intense vanilla ice cream. Since the top of the KA attachment is open, it's not all that difficult. Since we live outside of the US, a rich, well-flavored home made ice cream is always a hit, so we might be a bit more enthusiastic than if Ben and Jerry's was always available. The attachment lives in the freezer so we don't have to pre-plan too much, but yes, it's bulky.

Melusine
Melusine April 17, 2012

chl0525
chl0525 April 17, 2012

Yes! Store in the freezer. I clean my bowl after each use and seal it with Press and Seal, then stick it in the bottom of my chest freezer.

maryvelasquez
maryvelasquez April 17, 2012

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'm going to check it out.

Reiney
Reiney April 17, 2012

My only suggestion is to base this on available storage space - you can save $30 or so by going with a standard Cuisinart ice cream maker instead of the KA attachment.

They use the Cuisinart version in many professional kitchens.