Is there any way to save slightly burnt caramel?

I was making a salted caramel topping with heavy cream mixed in. There's a *slightly* burnt flavor, but noticeable enough to me. Any way I can save it? Or do I just have to start over?

hardlikearmour April 18, 2012

I'd start over, or call it burnt sugar salted caramel or some such. Hopefully someone will have some advice for salvaging it.

Merrill Stubbs April 18, 2012

If you don't like the flavor, I think your best option is to start over. Sorry!

boulangere April 18, 2012

Unfortunately, the third answer is not a charm: start over. Sugar goes from caramel to scorched in the blink of an eye, which I'm guessing you've already figured out.

Voted the Best Reply!

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

I'm not trying to be smug, but try your best to see this as one of *those* learning experiences. A burnt taste will not go away, there is no fixing it. That fine line between deep dark caramel and "slightly" burnt is the line between knowing what you are doing and...well...not really knowing what you are doing. I promise you that ANYONE who makes great caramel has burnt many batches! And it is through burning all those batches that the perfect dark (but not burnt!) note is achieved. Chalk it up to becoming a great cook and toss it out and start from scratch. You'll get there!

hrosdail
hrosdail April 19, 2012

No. I have tried and failed. It never works and I always have to start over.

Jamal Amir
Jamal Amir June 5, 2017

Assuming its slightly burned and still has a roughly amber tone. Let it sit on your fridge self for 5 years! Just kidding, only for a day and then carefully decant the top, which will be a slightly lighter color. The supernatant is too bitter to save, but the decanted caramel should taste perfect after adding a little sweetened condensed milk.

Britany Murphy
Britany Murphy November 4, 2018

Or you could just add a touch more cream to thin the mixture. Turn on very low heat till warmed through, add sugar to taste, then heat stirring constantly until sugar melts. May change consistency slightly but if your making caramel sauce... So what. If it's a stubborn burnt taste add a dash of vanilla extract. There's usually a way to fix things if your patient. The key is keeping the temp low enough and stir enough to not burn more but do it long enough to melt the extra sugar which counteracts the bitter burnt flavor.

Jennifer W
Jennifer W November 5, 2018

Ive saved a bit of my ever so slightly burnt caramel to add to lighter caramel to deepen the flavor.