🔕 🔔

Is there any way to save slightly burnt caramel?

I was making a salted caramel topping with heavy cream mixed in. There's a *slightly* burnt flavor, but noticeable enough to me. Any way I can save it? Or do I just have to start over?

asked by bonappetitfoodie over 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd start over, or call it burnt sugar salted caramel or some such. Hopefully someone will have some advice for salvaging it.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

If you don't like the flavor, I think your best option is to start over. Sorry!

Unfortunately, the third answer is not a charm: start over. Sugar goes from caramel to scorched in the blink of an eye, which I'm guessing you've already figured out.

36c8340a 844a 434e a75d 32001209ad64  fb avatar

No. I have tried and failed. It never works and I always have to start over.

Bc18031d 883e 4c37 a7ed b844112c1262  fb avatar

Assuming its slightly burned and still has a roughly amber tone. Let it sit on your fridge self for 5 years! Just kidding, only for a day and then carefully decant the top, which will be a slightly lighter color. The supernatant is too bitter to save, but the decanted caramel should taste perfect after adding a little sweetened condensed milk.