🔕 🔔

Is there any way to save slightly burnt caramel?

I was making a salted caramel topping with heavy cream mixed in. There's a *slightly* burnt flavor, but noticeable enough to me. Any way I can save it? Or do I just have to start over?

asked by bonappetitfoodie about 6 years ago

I'd start over, or call it burnt sugar salted caramel or some such. Hopefully someone will have some advice for salvaging it.

If you don't like the flavor, I think your best option is to start over. Sorry!

Unfortunately, the third answer is not a charm: start over. Sugar goes from caramel to scorched in the blink of an eye, which I'm guessing you've already figured out.

hrosdail

No. I have tried and failed. It never works and I always have to start over.

Jamal Amir

Assuming its slightly burned and still has a roughly amber tone. Let it sit on your fridge self for 5 years! Just kidding, only for a day and then carefully decant the top, which will be a slightly lighter color. The supernatant is too bitter to save, but the decanted caramel should taste perfect after adding a little sweetened condensed milk.