A question about a recipe: Squashed Potatoes

These ended up fabulously - and I'll do them again -- they are similar to the way I boil new potatoes and then fry or grill for a crust = yum! I boiled these 15 or 20 mins but I don't thnk I let them cool very long - used a ceramic plate to smash and they crumbled--- had to spatula them into the pan and leave alone until they made a crust before I could flip. (I used reg size new potatoes and cut in half so skin was on one side). Loved the pan-roasted garlic, too!!! Did I do something wrong re the crumbling?

(LOVE this site - I think I have saved at least 50 recipes in a the 30 hours since I found it here!!!) :-)

03d0ee5e 9b77 4381 b80f bec34d5b1855  2015 0516 smashing potatoes james ransom 083
Recipe question for: Squashed Potatoes

Jenna Kane
Jenna Kane April 19, 2012

Sorry - that sounded so neophyte.... guess I was frustrated that they crumbled and wondering if perhaps I had under or over done the potatoes.... in the end, they were edible and delicious so it may not even matter!

TheFritschKitchen
TheFritschKitchen April 19, 2012

Just read the recipe... sounds like you did ok. Even the recipe suggests you might need the assistance of a spatula:
"You may need a spatula to lift them in one piece from your work surface; lay them on a baking sheet."
If you are concerned, maybe leave the potatoes whole next time and cook them until they are just fork tender, no more!