I need help with grilling octopus either on stovetop griddle or broiler

Which method works better to best approximate the results on a real grill? Also...I've never bought it! I'm in NYC...think I can find it in Chinatown? Will they cut the legs off for me? I dont want the head (mark bittman doesn't use the head!). Also is it alright at room temperature or should I grill it directly before serving? Any other unsolicited tips? Thanks :)

asked by UhOhSarah about 6 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

If you're grilling I would try to find baby octopi (about 15 to the pound). I buy a frozen 2# block that come cleaned. And you can certainly grill them on a grill pan as opposed to an outdoor grill. Search this sight for "grilled octopus" and you'll find a few recipes. Depending on what you're making you can certainly grill ahead of time and serve at room temperature. Consider marinating them first.

maryvelasquez

I've read that massaging the octopus for a good amount of time tenderizes it. I've never tried this myself, but I once wrote a paper on octopus.

bigpan

In Greece I watched a fisherman repeatedly beat a fresh caught octopus against a rock for about ten minutes. He was tenderizing it. So unless it is a baby don't be afraid to whack it for awhile.
A good rule with octopus is to cook for less than 3 minutes (grill) or more than 3 hours (stew).
A bit of lemon and oregano and garlic = yum!

A preparation that is traditional to both Italy and Greece is to boil the octopus with a wine cork (you can cut the head off first, it's not that hard). You cook it for a long time, like three hours, periodically pulling it out of the water for a minute and the plunging it back in. Why the wine cork works, I don't know. After that you can marinade and grill it. An outdoor, woodfired grill works best but work with what you've got.