Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »

What to do with 15 pounds of cooked spaghetti?!

So my husband volunteers at his church, where they put on monthly community dinners. Tonight was spaghetti and meatballs. They were worried they wouldn't have enough spaghetti, and made extra... Resulting in about 15 pounds of cooked spaghetti left over! They were going to throw it out, and my husband said he'd take it home to feed our chickens... But I'd love to use as much of it as possible in casserole type things I can freeze, both to eat ourselves and to give as gifts to new moms / people going through illnesses, etc...

So, suggestions? What should I do with this gargantuan amount of cooked spaghetti?! :-)

Thanks,

asked by fearlessem almost 5 years ago

Put it in portioned freezer bags for quick dinners?

00c46d23 3575 4258 98ff 95bf01356ea4  stringio

Chicken or turkey tetrazinni

783b5334 3415 40c6 8994 2245307bc4b2  img 0036

There are all kinds of pasta recipes on this site to use up those noodles! A recent genius recipe, fritattas, spaghetti bakes, lasagnas, noodles w/ fried or poached eggs, tetrazzinis. For now, I'd freeze it and just get a plan. Your family and friends will so appreciate all this goodness. Honestly, I sauce my noodles with everything from sauteed mushrooms and roasted peppers, carmelized onions and soft cheeses, to thick sauces. Really, the possibilities are endless.......

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Wow! I'm thinking about a children's' book my kids used to love: Strega Nonna and the magic pasta pot. I've never tried freezing cooked spaghetti that was not in a sauce. I suspect, though, that freezing it in a sauce or casserole would keep a better consistency down the road.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Oh, goodness! I know just where you are, as a house guest just made us enough spaetzle to feed the Austro-Hungarian army. We ve-heated with and without sauce, added to soups, ate cold out of the storage containers, etc. Then suddenly, I started to think about bacterial growth and threw the rest out. It was sad but not as sad as getting sick and never wanting to make spaetzle ever again.

Chicken and spaghetti. This recipe is pretty darn good: http://thepioneerwoman...

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.