The Perfect poached egg?

How do I get a perfectly poached egg!

• Posted by: Bippy
  • April 27, 2012

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci April 27, 2012

Here's a video for a method we like. And check out the comments for lots of other suggested methods!
http://www.food52.com/blog...

HalfPint April 27, 2012

I use the microwave method that I saw on TheKitchn.com. Basically, crack egg into a microwaveable container like a ceramic mug or a ramekin. Cover with water and a tsp vinegar. Microwave at 80%power for 50 seconds, then at 20 second increments until I get the doneness that I want. For my microwave, 1 min 15 sec produces my perfect poached egg. Obviously not a great method when you have to poach eggs for more than 2 people, but it produces perfectly round poached eggs each time.

bigpan
bigpan April 27, 2012

I got a couple "poach pod" pods for Christmas and now use them every time without fail. Google poach pod and watch the video.

pierino April 27, 2012

I don't even want to think about a microwaved egg right now. I've changed my own method to the Keller school of poaching. Per egg, 1/2 cup vinegar in a small bowl. Break the egg into the bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes to tighten up the white (albumen). Meanwhile bring a deep pot of water to a boil and hit with some salt, turn down to a simmer. Using a wooden spoon swirl that water into a vortex and slide the egg straight into the whirlpool. Cook for two minutes, e voila!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN April 27, 2012

BRILLIANTE!!!!!gotta try this soon. thx so much for taking the time to detail it,
mindy

Bippy
Bippy April 27, 2012

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to try these methods.