The Perfect poached egg?

How do I get a perfectly poached egg!

asked by Bippy over 6 years ago

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Here's a video for a method we like. And check out the comments for lots of other suggested methods!
http://www.food52.com/blog...

I use the microwave method that I saw on TheKitchn.com. Basically, crack egg into a microwaveable container like a ceramic mug or a ramekin. Cover with water and a tsp vinegar. Microwave at 80%power for 50 seconds, then at 20 second increments until I get the doneness that I want. For my microwave, 1 min 15 sec produces my perfect poached egg. Obviously not a great method when you have to poach eggs for more than 2 people, but it produces perfectly round poached eggs each time.

bigpan

I got a couple "poach pod" pods for Christmas and now use them every time without fail. Google poach pod and watch the video.

I don't even want to think about a microwaved egg right now. I've changed my own method to the Keller school of poaching. Per egg, 1/2 cup vinegar in a small bowl. Break the egg into the bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes to tighten up the white (albumen). Meanwhile bring a deep pot of water to a boil and hit with some salt, turn down to a simmer. Using a wooden spoon swirl that water into a vortex and slide the egg straight into the whirlpool. Cook for two minutes, e voila!

LE BEC FIN

BRILLIANTE!!!!!gotta try this soon. thx so much for taking the time to detail it,
mindy

Bippy

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to try these methods.