balsamic vinegar

of the many brands and prices, how do I pick the best balsamic to start experimenting with? My principal use will be in salads.

drbabs April 29, 2012

Is there a shop near you that does tastings? I spent a fun afternoon recently trying different vinegars in a local specialty store.

Maedl April 29, 2012

Cook's Illustrated often tests products and publishes the results. The magazine--or website if you have a digital subscription--is always a good place to start.

pierino April 29, 2012

Fini is a good brand (for commercial as opposed to artisinal balsamics). From Modena in Italy.

You might also do a comparison with good quality, aged Spanish sherry vinaigrette. Often a better value with better flavor.

beno510
beno510 April 29, 2012

Aim for a balsamic that doesn't have added sugar or artificial additives. Good ones will have an age on the bottle. 5 years or less will be fresher and sharper whereas 25 years or older are likely to require you to take out a second mortgage and probably only for the expert or the wealthy!

Kitsune
Kitsune April 29, 2012

I get my good stuff from http://fioreoliveoils.com/site/ . I have been to the store and did the tasting... have yet to find anything better.

Beamer
Beamer April 29, 2012

I've used Alessi in the past for marinades and it has worked fine; not too costly either