🔕 🔔

balsamic vinegar

of the many brands and prices, how do I pick the best balsamic to start experimenting with? My principal use will be in salads.

asked by GinoandAlice over 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Is there a shop near you that does tastings? I spent a fun afternoon recently trying different vinegars in a local specialty store.

Cook's Illustrated often tests products and publishes the results. The magazine--or website if you have a digital subscription--is always a good place to start.

Fini is a good brand (for commercial as opposed to artisinal balsamics). From Modena in Italy.

You might also do a comparison with good quality, aged Spanish sherry vinaigrette. Often a better value with better flavor.

Aim for a balsamic that doesn't have added sugar or artificial additives. Good ones will have an age on the bottle. 5 years or less will be fresher and sharper whereas 25 years or older are likely to require you to take out a second mortgage and probably only for the expert or the wealthy!

I get my good stuff from http://fioreoliveoils.com... . I have been to the store and did the tasting... have yet to find anything better.

I've used Alessi in the past for marinades and it has worked fine; not too costly either