🔕 🔔

White vs regular balsamic Vinegars

Aside from color, does regular balsamic vinegar and white balsamic vinegar taste similar? I have a recipe that calls for white...where you mix it with a black olive tapenade, but if the flavors are similar and all I have is regular, I will just use the regular.

asked by skittle over 5 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Hi skittle, I asked this question a couple of months ago a little differently. http://www.food52.com/hotline... Quite educational in all the responses. Our pierino had some things to say that were quite interesting and some other great info showed up. Check it out and may the conversation continue!

I do not find they taste similar at all. That said, I do not buy fancy brands of these either. But the regular balsamic is sweeter and heavier in flavor than the white I have had. I have subbed white for regular in a couple of situations, but not regular for white.

I too would love to know what the "deal" is with white. It seems like a marketing gimmick to me, but it tastes smoother than regular white vinegar and we like it, so we use it.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

With black olives, I imagine that the red balsamic would be a better choice -- possibly in smaller quantity, so taste as you add.

Thank you for the responses! I will check out the previously posted question as well for even more information!