IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

Recipe calls for potato flour. Any substitutes?

asked by pat sanders over 4 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Potato flakes in a 2:1 flake:flour ratio. You could grind them in your spice grinder to get a flour-like texture.

What are you making? How much potato flour is called for in the recipe and what is its purpose? When I can't get an answer here on the Hotline that works for me, i always go to foodsubs.com for questions like this. Here's what they have to say: potato starch = potato flour = potato starch flour = katakuriko Notes: This gluten-free starch is used to thicken soups and gravies. Its main advantage over other starch thickeners is that it's a permitted ingredient for Passover, unlike cornstarch and other grain-based foods. Liquids thickened with potato starch should never be boiled. Supermarkets often stock it among the Kosher products. Substitutes: cornstarch (This is very similar, but not permitted for Passover.) OR arrowroot OR tapioca starch OR ground Passover matzo (This is also permitted for Passover.) http://www.foodsubs.com... ;o)

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

That site can be useful sometimes but is so often incorrect I wouldn't rely on it for anything critical.

Voted the Best Answer!

I use foodsubs.com frequently, too. In this case it is incorrect. Potato flour is not the same as potato starch. Potato flour is made from entire dehydrated potatoes. Potato starch (aka potato starch flour) is just the starch. It's very confusing.

Add your answer here

Before we can intelligently answer your question, we'd need to know what it is you're making.