🔕 🔔

Substituting Unsweetened Chocolate for Bitter/Semi-Sweet?

Friday Night in Jerusalem and Shabbat is in full swing; no shops will be open until tomorrow evening, and I'm entirely too lazy to drive over to East Jerusalem to shop in the morning. I need to make some birthday cupcakes; the Cook's Illustrated recipe calls for bitter- or semi-sweet chocolate. I only have unsweetened. One substitution site I found calls for 1 Tbsp sugar/1 ounce unsweetened chocolate for every ounce of bittersweet chocolate. Will that work?

asked by Melusine over 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Here's what Cook's Illustrated says: "To Replace: 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate or 1 ounce semisweet chocolate 2/3 ounce unsweetened chocolate + 2 teaspoons sugar"

Oh, and Shabbat Shalom!

Perfect. And, since i was on the CI site, why didn't I think of checking for the substitution...??? Thank you very much.