Please help me convert bittersweet chocolate into semisweet chocolate

So I have BITTERsweet chocolate and the recipe I'm making calls for SEMIsweet chocolate. How much sugar would I add to bring it from bitter to semi? To make the math easy, assume I'm working with exactly 1 pound of chocolate.

Thanks in advance for the answer! ;-)

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

They can be used interchangeably. The only rule for labeling as bittersweet or semisweet as that it must have at least 35% cacao. Different companies have different percentages and the bittersweet and semisweet products overlap, typically in the 60% cacao range. No crazy math needed!

The terms seem to be fairly interchangeable, since there aren't strict math-friendly rules about cocoa:sugar ratios. Any chance you can add sugar to taste? Here's a bit more from Serious Eats on confusing chocolate labels: http://bit.ly/h2pzGi

nutcakes

I just prefer to use the bittersweet as is too. If it is higher cacao %, it will just be that much better. I even used 1/3rd unsweetened 72% that I though was bittersweet in error, in a brownie bites recipe and they were devestatingly good.

Soozll

I 'd just use less of it in the reicpe. What are you making?