Chocolate dump-it cake by Amanda substitution

I want to bake Amanda's chocolate dump-it cake from Cooking for Mr Latte and New York Times Cook Book. I only have semi-chocolate chips. Do you think is it okay to use them instead of unsweetened? One more thing, does this batter work in cupcake molds?
Thanks!

asked by mayuchico almost 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

I think the batter would work great in cupcake molds, but switching from unsweetened to semi-sweet chips scares me. Unless you like pretty sweet stuff, it probably won't work well. Some people might recommend reducing the sugar, but sugar acts as a "wet" ingredient, so the cake would then be less moist overall, which isn't good.

Yes to both! If you use the chocolate chips reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup.

mayuchico

JessicaBakes & Amanda,

Thank you for your answers. I baked with sweetened chocolate, and they came out great too!