🔕 🔔

expired Certo--any uses?

With the good intention of making batches and batches of pâte de fruits, I bought several boxes of Certo a couple of years ago. I now have 3 leftover boxes which expired in January 2011. Is it possible that they're still good, and is there anything I can use them for besides jelly or jam?

asked by brooklynite over 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

It would be such a shame to use them and have them not gel correctly -- you might want to toss them and not risk it!

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I'd say it's possible they're still good. But before ruining a large batch I would test it on a small amount and see what happens.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Can you contact the manufacturer?

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Pectin loses effectiveness over time. You might want to look at it this way: How much does new pectin cost? How much is a batch of fruit worth?

(That's how I would decide.)

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I'd pitch it. The best jellies and jams have no need for Certo in the first place. I make my own jams and jellies and I never use the stuff.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Ditto, mainecook61. I stopped using Certo decades ago and haven't looked back. Recipes with Certo call for even more sugar than the ones without.