🔕 🔔

What is the best sauce for artichokes?

asked by FlacaZurda over 5 years ago

46d131cd f2c2 45e6 a471 166131eec02e  jess otoole

I love to serve artichokes with melted butter, or aioli, or "Roman Style" with a dressing of olive oil, lemon, garlic, and fresh herbs (mint, thyme).

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Out of all the sauces and all the possible preparations, my favorite is Best Foods / Hellmann's Mayonnaise right out of the jar. (Don't knock it unless you've tried it; other jarred mayo doesn't count.) Hollandaise is good too, and a good way to use leftover sauce from a day or two before*.

(*Assuming you pasteurized the eggs in the process.)

1dcc7c21 a794 442f 8a5f 1be76ddd7b94  you doodle 2017 02 12t14 57 20z

Hellmann's is my best choice. Even better, I use half Hellmann's and half plain yogurt (not Greek). The yogurt make the sauce lighter and gives it a little bite.

ATL

Lemon butter

I'm stalwartly in there with the roman style oil, and mint. In the same tradition I'll pull back the trimmed leaves and bread crumbs. I use a melon baller to take out the choke and put the same stuffing in there also.

I like a honey and dijon mustard combo with a touch of champagne vinegar, salt and pepper.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I second just the mayo, but like "Stone soup" it usually gets a bit of this or that.
Lemon Juice, salt, and a touch of Cajun seasoning sometimes.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

I just had a sauce tonight that was a touch of cream, chicken stock and puréed artichoke with a touch of tarragon. It was outstanding (served with chicken)

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Years ago, I was having lunch in a restaurant in Greensboro, NC. Can't remember what I was eating except that there was a dish of the most delicious mayonnaise. When I mentioned it to the waiter, he said, "Hellmann's with lemon juice beaten into it."

Wholefoods user icon

Allans - I sure would love to have that pureed artichoke cream sauce recipe!

So would I - I had it at a restaurant. Next time I'm there, I'll ask!

Thanks to Deborah Madison in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, I steam little artichokes with bay, lemon rind, and peppercorns when I take out the chokes, I add butter and crushed garlic and lemon juice to the water and reduce it to a nice dipping consistency, then pour it over the cooked artichokes (and spoon it on to serving plates for dipping in - truly lovely way to start a dinner party.