Benny

Depends on who you ask. Some will say they are the same while others will say "Sorbetto" has a higher fruit to liquid ratio.

I would only consider them different if there was a difference in key ingredients or preparation method. But there isn't. Fresh Fruit, simple syrup, lemon juice.

I consider them to be the same thing. Both names are fancy enough if you ask me though. I call it Sorbet. I might call it Sorbetto if I had any Italian in my blood. But, since I don't, I just feel like a poser calling it Sorbetto.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

sorbet

Per Benny's reply, sorbet is the French term and sorbetto is the Italian. They are basically the same thing but I would award higher points to the Italians when it comes to frozen desserts.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

The main difference is in country of origin. In the USA we tend to think of sorbet as a frozen/churned dessert from a fruit & sugar based liquid. The ratios are up for grabs. Commercial products, from any country, tend to have a lot of stabilizers but many pastry chefs don't use any, or as much, because their frozen desserts are consumed faster than ones n containers that need to be shipped and stored for months at a time.

chef of the future 2000

In Italy at least southern Italy where my family is from sorbetto is a creamier version of sorbet.