Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Nothing but a sorbet should be made with an ice cream machine so it is mixed while freezing. If you don't have an ice cream machine you have to stir it every 30 minutes once you put it in the freezer.

Also your recipe may have too much syrup (which should be just sugar dissolved in water). There is a wide believe that for an American public you have to add more sugar. (I don't know this book though).
The quantity of sugar depends on how sweet and ripe is the fruits you are using. Add the syrup in stages and try it. If you can put less sugar.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Not using an ice cream maker is going to give you something more like a granite than a sorbeto. In other words large crystals if fruit flavored ice will form. The machine is keeping the liquids and solids in motion so it comes out blened and smooth.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Even if you are using a commercial ice cream maker, you can get separation of juice/water/syrup in frozen sorbet - it mostly depends on the kind of fruit/juice you are using. I have the most separation with citrus sorbets. Unless you want to use a stabilizer, this will happen.

This being said, not all sorbet should be made with simple syrup. This is the "rule" I use: when my coulis is mostly solids, I use simple syrup to sweeten it, but when my fruit is mostly liquid, I use superfine sugar (not confectioner's.)

If, when you are making your fruit purée/coulis, you see a separation in your blender/container, make sure to whisk it a bunch before pouring into your ice cream maker. The colder that mixture is, and the faster your machine works, and the less sugar your mixture has, the less likely your sorbet will separate.

I say embrace it though. I would rather have separation than add ingredients like stabilizer to my beautiful fresh fruit coulis!