🔕 🔔

I ran out of cardamom -- I'm making cookies so what would be a good substitute?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

What kind of cookies? What are the other flavorings you are using?

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Sadly, nothing can quite replace the sharp floral taste of cardamom. You might try adding a combination of cinnamon and lemon zest to approximate its flavors!

11a5dc99 9cd2 4f28 916e 5bee541e8aa7  400584 2795982053875 1473082837 n 1

You can try cinnamon instead -- it won't have the same flavor, but you'll get those notes of floral-y spice that you're looking for.

Yes, nothing really compares to the taste and aroma of cardamom. Depending upon what kind of cookie you are making, I might choose cinnamon as an alternative flavor. Different, but also delicious.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I would open the jars of all my sweet spices and decide by what smells right. Nothing will duplicate the taste of cardamom (we all agree on that!), but I think adding the lemon zest will give something like the tweak of cardamom that none of the others have. I would try mace or nutmeg first.

I would use freshly ground coriander with just the tiniest whisper of ground cloves. It won't taste like cardamom, but it will be interesting, and a bit off the beaten track. ;o)

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

As everyone has noted, cardamom is unique, but depending on the type of cookie, would ground ginger work as a different flavor?