I ran out of cardamom -- I'm making cookies so what would be a good substitute?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

What kind of cookies? What are the other flavorings you are using?

Nozlee Samadzadeh

Sadly, nothing can quite replace the sharp floral taste of cardamom. You might try adding a combination of cinnamon and lemon zest to approximate its flavors!

Brette Warshaw

You can try cinnamon instead -- it won't have the same flavor, but you'll get those notes of floral-y spice that you're looking for.

Yes, nothing really compares to the taste and aroma of cardamom. Depending upon what kind of cookie you are making, I might choose cinnamon as an alternative flavor. Different, but also delicious.

I would open the jars of all my sweet spices and decide by what smells right. Nothing will duplicate the taste of cardamom (we all agree on that!), but I think adding the lemon zest will give something like the tweak of cardamom that none of the others have. I would try mace or nutmeg first.

I would use freshly ground coriander with just the tiniest whisper of ground cloves. It won't taste like cardamom, but it will be interesting, and a bit off the beaten track. ;o)

healthierkitchen

As everyone has noted, cardamom is unique, but depending on the type of cookie, would ground ginger work as a different flavor?