🔕 🔔

.Howe should I make my own pasta tomato sauce? my husband says to just by it from the store . what should I do?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Yes absolutely - it's very easy, and you won't have that processed overly sweet flavour. For a basic red sauce:

- slowly heat several tablespoons of olive oil in a pan
- sautee some onions with a bit of salt until translucent
- add some chopped garlic
- Pour in 1-2 cans of tomatoes and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or so until the flavours develop and it's the thickness you like.
- season with more salt at the end as needed

Freezes beautifully so you can make a huge batch
Feel free to add: chopped basil, red pepper flakes, anchovies, bacon/pancetta, bay leaf, vegetables (fennel, mushroom, etc), olives
You can use whole peeled tomatoes or diced
If you feel it needs it, a pinch of sugar at the end can also help bring out the tomato flavour

5898788c 7208 4473 a88f a3f4bbe64a0b  img 1339

Quick and easy recipe:
Two cans of crushed tomatoes, 2-3 tablespoons of Italian seasoning, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of sugar; salt to taste. Simmer all ingredients for 15-20 minutes. Don't over-cook or let it come to a boil or it will lose its fresh taste.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

The above answers are great, and I have nothing to add except go for it! Why buy something mediocre when you can make something really fabulous yourself (especially since it's wonderfully simple)? Commercial pasta sauces can often be overly sweet and have no texture. Try your hand at homemade.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The Commercial Paul Newsman's sauces are actually pretty good with a nice balance if you don't want to make your own.

Tomato sauce is easy to make and you can add lots of additions. So, it's kinda like a 'stone soup' recipe..start with the base and then you start adding stuff and more stuff..and sometimes over complicate it.

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

HA! I always make my own tomato sauce, but I do it the hard way :) Here's my method, (although it changes, depending on what i'm using it for...

1) render fat from salt pork, then remove salt pork
2) saute mirepoix in salt pork fat until translucent, add minced garlic and stir for a minute.
3) deglaze with red or white wine, depending on the use
4) add some stock (typically chicken
5) Peel and de-seed a bunch of fresh tomatoes, chop up and add to pot, simmer for an hour or more
6) pure everything with an immersion blender or in small batches with a food processor.
7) toss in your choice of herbs (thyme, basil, oregano..etc), season with salt and pepper. simmer for 10 minutes.
8) taste and correct seasoning. Add more stock or reduce to correct thickness.

Yeah, I know thats more complicated than most, but thats me.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I'd say just take a shot at Marcella Hazans recipe, you'll never go back to store bottles
http://food52.com/recipes...

Marcella Hazan's sauce, hands down!

Wholefoods user icon

1 large clove garlic, minced - 3 tablespoons olive oil - 2 tablespoons tomato paste - 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, juice reserved, tomatoes seeded, then crushed - Salt and ground black pepper - 2-3 fresh basil leaves, shredded, or 1/2 teaspoon dried

In a large saucepan, warm garlic in 2 tablespoons oil over low heat until soft, but not colored. Stir in tomato paste, then the tomatoes and their liquid. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; before serving, stir in basil and remaining tablespoon oil.

Home made sauce is best depending on the recipe. I've had some home made sauces that were not as good as the jar versions. In a pinch buy a good jar of a sauce you like. Experiment. Classico Tomato Basil for starters.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I agree - Marcella Hazan's sauce is great, it freezes well, and you can add more ingredients when you heat it up.