🔕 🔔

cooling tomato sauce

hi! i just finished cooking my tomato sauce, and i need to take me and my son to the grocery store for a few things as well as household errands. can i turn off the burner and leave the sauce on the stove for a couple of hours, or will i risk foodborne illness?

my intent is to make baked ziti for tonight's dinner, yum! any help ASAP is much appreciated!!!

asked by Lisa 7 months ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I'd suggest cooling it down in the kitchen sink (filled with cold water and ice cubes) and then putting in the fridge.

E21312bd 51ad 4c33 9176 62ed4e9d186b  1896934 853191515782 1684938871 n

thanks trena!

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Best to be conservative, but there's really no chance of anything dangerous happening in a couple of hours. Errands being errands, there is some chance of a couple of hours turning into half a day.