cooling tomato sauce

hi! i just finished cooking my tomato sauce, and i need to take me and my son to the grocery store for a few things as well as household errands. can i turn off the burner and leave the sauce on the stove for a couple of hours, or will i risk foodborne illness?

my intent is to make baked ziti for tonight's dinner, yum! any help ASAP is much appreciated!!!

asked by Lisa almost 2 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I'd suggest cooling it down in the kitchen sink (filled with cold water and ice cubes) and then putting in the fridge.

Lisa

thanks trena!

Best to be conservative, but there's really no chance of anything dangerous happening in a couple of hours. Errands being errands, there is some chance of a couple of hours turning into half a day.