🔕 🔔

What should I do with mung beans

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I sprout them. They're super sprout friendly, as they're large and are easier to handle, and I've found that they sprout very quickly. I place 1/4 cup mung beans in a quart jar, cover them with water, and let soak overnight. In the morning, drain off the water and rinse them. Leave the jar tilted at an angle upside down (I just turn it upside down inside a small bowl where it can lean against the side of the bowl and the water drains out--the important part is that it drains). I just place a thin cloth over the mouth of the jar and screw on the ring--this allows better drainage. Then, you rinse them twice a day or so until the sprouts are about an inch and a half long.
At this point, you can use them on salads, stir fries, sandwiches, or anywhere else you might use sprouts.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I was in an Indian restaurant for lunch, and had a salad with sprouted mung beans, asparagus, onions and tomatoes chopped very small, in vinaigrette -- very good.
Here's a link to Panfusine's Mung and Quinoa Crepes, which is excellent -- http://www.food52.com/recipe....
Add some when you cook brown rice, with extra water. You could soak the beans first, but if they're on the fresh side they may not need soaking, and cook in the same time.

Mung beans, aka "moong dal" or "green gram" are great in all kinds of Indian food from dal (lentil soup, more or less) to pakodas (fried dumplings).