🔕 🔔

Sprouted Mung Beans = Mung Bean Sprouts?

I am making an Indian recipe (bisi bela) that calls for spouted mung beans. I started sprouting some dried beans a few days ago; they have already have a little root popping out, and have softened up quite a bit, but are definitely more bean than sprout. Should I use these in the recipe, or purchase the fully sprouted 2-3" beans from the store?

asked by Jennifer Ann over 6 years ago

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

They should definitely be more bean than sprout--usually 1 day is good for sprouting--you don't want to see much sprout.

9b7057f4 3dc4 4682 b30c 344179b9824c  img 0828

Thank you! I will cook them up tonight.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

What I see in cookbooks is that in Indian cooking the sprout is just what you describe, not the long-legged commercial ones.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I think step 2 of this recipe would give you the sprouted mung beans.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Mung bean sprouts and sprouted mung beans are two totally different things.

Mung bean sprouts are easy to find and are the white, crunchy bean sprouts that you find in many Asian stir fries. They are long and skinny.

Sprouted mung beans are small, oval-shaped beans of a pretty green color that are showing a little bit of white around the middle and might even have some of the sprout sticking out.

They are both delicious!