How long do I have to thaw puff pastry before working with it?

I'm trying to make chocolat and almond croissants for my overnight guests. Hope I'm not too late. Thanks!!

Dea Henrich
Dea Henrich May 27, 2012

You can thaw it on the counter, and it should be usable in 20-30 minutes.

Dea Henrich
Dea Henrich May 27, 2012

Oh, and if you do thaw it on the counter, do it in the packaging or make sure it's covered with Saran wrap.

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere May 27, 2012

You'll probably be better off this way. It will be best if you begin rolling it when it's still on the cool side, as the friction of rolling will warm it rapidly. If it spends too much time at room temperature or above, water will begin to leach out of the fat into the dough. Since puff pastry is entirely steam leavened, your great puff in the oven will be a bit compromised. Too, free water has a toughening effect on the dough. Your croissants sound lovely!

Thistle
Thistle May 28, 2012

Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind help. We took all advice and they turned out pretty spectacular, really. Everyone loved them. And I was shocked how simple it was to do.

boulangere May 28, 2012

How lovely that your guests enjoyed them!