Would like to buy a Blow Torch

What would you recommend as a good blow torch for home use? Is it necessary if you have a broiler in your oven, as I do? Are there specific recipes where a blow torch is essential. Can you tell that I have a want-to-acquire another kitchen tool?

asked by Kitchen Butterfly about 6 years ago

Dona

I have a big blow torch from the hardware store. Doesn't cost much and it works so much better than the little kitchen size torch. I use it for creme brûlée and meringue pie. Totally worth it, even though I have to keep it in the garage.

Totally agree. I got mine from the hardware store too. I think it was ~$10 and much better than that little hand sized one that I got as a gift.

Susan Boyles

I agree with Dona - I have a standard blow torch (not really THAT big, but substantial compared to the ones sold in kitchen stores). You do have to be careful though - if you haven't used one before, expect the first one or two brulees to be like the tester pancake - edible but not so pretty! You can also use the torch to put a crust on a roast, brown your meringue (think baked Alaska), roast marshmallows in the summer, or solder that lawn chair back together. I'm just sayin' - lol!

I love my blow torch! Ace Hardware.

I really like ChefOno's example---although I do own one of those wimpy Bonjour ones.

And here is a recipe for you http://www.food52.com/recipes...

ChrisBird

I have an iwatani one and love it.
Here it is in use on a delicious beef standing rib roast
http://seabirdskitchen...
Here it is on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani...

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Essential? Probably not. But at $15 at the hardware store it's a nice-to-have for sure.

A torch is not only great for bruleeing and toasting meringues, it's handy to heat up the knife to make an even butter pat or portion certain cakes and pies, or heat a scoop for ice cream. You can also use it to quickly warm a mixing bowl before whisking egg whites.

petitbleu

Absolutely agree with all of the above. Hardware store is the way to go. My mother bought me a little Rosle brûlée torch for Christmas a couple years back, and it really doesn't have the get-up-and-go for even small jobs. It's cute but not cut out for what is purports to be able to do. I also prefer the blowtorch to the broiler in my oven. There are dramatic hot spots when you use the broiler, and it's almost impossible to get an even burnish on anything using it. The blowtorch is excellent for anything you want to brown, from gratins and shepherd's pie to meringue and creme brûlée. Besides, they're freaking fun.

Kitchen Butterfly

Great - thank you. Its obvious, very obvious I should get one!