Omlette pan reccomendation?

Looking to invest in new omelette pan. Know non-stick is preferred. Need decent size and reasonably priced option. Thanks!

• Posted by: RashaB
  • June 2, 2012

Greenstuff June 2, 2012

Don't limit yourself to non-stick. I think if I wanted an inexpensive omelet pan, I'd go for a De Buyer carbon steel. I use a stainless pan and have thought about non-stick, but fellow Hotliners have convinced me otherwise.

ChefOno
ChefOno June 2, 2012

I'm all for non-stick for eggs. One pan you could consider would be the All-Clad omelette pan on sale for roughly half price ($80) at Williams-Sonoma right now.

bigpan
bigpan June 2, 2012

I'm also converted to non stick, but rather than big name brands at over priced stores I buy a T-fal one and toss it out every year when it starts to wear.
The secret really is to learn the right temperature on your range.

RashaB
RashaB June 2, 2012

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm a fan of stainless, particularly all-clad. I own one and use it for almost everything but for omlettes I'm leaning towards non-stick.

While on the subject of pans, I've been doing some research on woks. Main advice seems to be that flat-Bottom is best. Still, too many options. Would love some feedback if you have...

Cheers.
R

ChefOno
ChefOno June 2, 2012

Oh there's a can of worms for you. I'll start the kerfuffle: Forget the wok, use a sauté pan.
RashaB
RashaB June 2, 2012

:) I do but always fail to get proper/even cooking or browning. Also, pan side being low is an issue. My pan is 12' I think and it never accommodates all ingredients.

ChefOno
ChefOno June 3, 2012

While changing equipment (pan or burner or both) could help, any problem can be solved with technique. Specifics would help if you'd like guidance. One of the benefits of this site is the amazing amount of experience at all levels and the willingness to help. (You'll also notice the subject tends to splinter in directions which, although they may not address the question at hand, might answer questions you didn't think to ask.)
bigpan
bigpan June 2, 2012

If you are thinking "wok" I would lean to the round bottom and use a wok-ring. After all, round bottoms have worked for a few thousand years. Flat bottom is only in America.

ChefOno
ChefOno June 3, 2012

True enough, and acknowledging I have very little wok experience, one problem using a wok in a Western kitchen is the amount of heat a residential cooktop puts out is only a small fraction of ideal and their design is far different than a wok stove. A flat bottom allows the wok to sit lower or, in the case of an electric stove, directly on the burner, significantly improving heat transfer.

RashaB
RashaB June 6, 2012

Coincidentally, while checking my oven (gas) manual for cleaning instructions, I noticed the following WARNING; "Only flat-bottomed woks should be used. Do not use a round-bottomed wok on a support ring. Placing the ring over the burner or grate may cause the burner to work improperly, resulting in CARBON MONOXIDE levels above allowable standards. This could be dangerous to your health."

ChefOno
ChefOno June 6, 2012

Huh! Never considered that issue. As is the smoke and fumes weren't enough…

Greenstuff June 2, 2012

Here's the link to when I asked the question
http://www.food52.com/hotline...

slock
slock June 3, 2012

I second the De Buyer! Takes some getting used to but no nasty chemicals. I've not been able to do an "over easy" egg, but my omelet and scrambles are perfect. Yes I'm not afraid of a knob of butter.

petitbleu
petitbleu June 3, 2012

I'm a fan of not complicating or cluttering your life with excessive pots and pans. If you already have a nonstick pan, you might try using it to get really comfortable with making omelets and find that you don't need another pan. I've always just used whatever nonstick pan I happen to have around, and while my results may not always be the shining example of what a good omelet should be, they usually come out just fine.
Of course, I'm a little biased--I'm still at an age where I find myself moving every two years or so, and I know that if I buy it, I have to move it. Thus, I agree with ChefOno about the sauté pan. We have a great one (12") with high sides that works really well. The thought of storing a wok somewhere is painful to me.

ChefOno
ChefOno June 3, 2012

And I agree you don't *need* a special omelette pan, meaning one specifically designed for omelettes. Everything is a compromise -- omelettes in a fry pan, crêpes in an omelette pan.

amysarah June 3, 2012

I use nonstick. An omelet coming out perfectly every time - by any means - works for me. I'm also not brand-loyal - I just pick up an appropriately-sized decent pan as needed, inexpensively (at Marshall's or some such.) I love making omelets. Some things I just want to be easy.

RashaB
RashaB June 3, 2012

Thanks everyone. I chose the right place to ask. Much appreciated!

aargersi June 6, 2012

I heart my Scan Pan. Nuff said :-)