Where can I purchase good quality spices?

I am looking for a vendor(s) that sells good quality spices that is not Penzeys. I have issues with how they run the company and how they mistreat their staff, so I will not support them by buying their spices. Thank you.

asked by Garlic Fiend over 6 years ago

Rachel Gaffney

Here's a link to Penzey's Online... they will also send you a catalog. Recently I purchased some as a gift and they came in a box packed with fresh bay leaves...Nice Touch !

Garlic Fiend

Um... I'm looking for someone NOT Penzeys. Thanks anyway!

Rachel Gaffney

http://www.penzeys.com/
oops...forgot the link !

Rachel Gaffney

I just noticed the full question..apologies.. I saw it on Twitter then just saw the full question... apologies

As a veteran of selling herbs and spices for 30 years, now retired, I would suggest looking for what I had. See if there is a local natural food store or co-op that sells them in bulk. We found that both quality and price were superior to what is commonly available. You also have the advantage of buying only as much as you are likely to use in the time they are at their best, or only enough for a single recipe for something you've never tried before.
Similarly, look for ethnic ingredients at the Indian, Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, etc. stores, where a knowledgeable customer won't accept less than the real thing.
Good luck!

Aisha

Just to note that some ethnic shops (especially the larger ones serving a big local community) do sell in bulk as well. And one suggestion for pre-packed pre-ground South Asian spices: National and Shan brands are of consistently good quality, reliable, well-prepared and well-packed so they stay really fresh (I even use some of their spice mixes when I'm too lazy to make my own).

ReneePussman

Online.

ChefOno

I don't have a local source like Susan suggests however I've been doing business with The Spice House (www.thespicehouse.com) for many years. Excellent quality, prices, selection and customer service.

Panfusine

Kalustyan's in New York City & savory spice shop in Princeton.. http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/ware.html

World Spice, based in Seattle, really impressed me. They were featured in the FOOD52 shop very early on, so I purchased several items from them that were not readily available locally (e.g., grains of paradise). I found the quality and service both to be excellent. You can get fairly small quantities as well. I agree that buying in bulk and buying from ethnic grocers is the way to go generally, but if you cannot, World Spice is a great alternative. http://www.worldspice.com/ ;o)

mstv

This is also the business I was going to suggest. Very high quality.

olygirl

Bucks Fifth Avenue, aka The Spice Lady, here in Olympia, WA is amazing. It's small and local, but she does has a web site. http://www.culinaryexotica.mybigcommerce.com/.
It's an amazing little store with spice blends and single spices from all over the world. I use her Argentine Steak Rub on everything from popcorn to salad dressing.

Summer of Eggplant

depends upon where you live. If you have a local store that sells herbs and spices, I'd begin with them. for instance, there's a fab little store called Polcari's in the North End of Boston where I always go when I'm in town (used to live up the street). They sell coffees, herbs and spices, etc. and their turnover is very rapid. Everything is always fresh.

I also mail order from Vann's Spices www.vannsspices.com and have done so for years. You can buy from them in large or small quantities.

Bevi

Atlantic Spice Company - they have a website.

Apple123

Try tasteofmalaysia.biz

They are a small company in Florida, but have great spices from India. They only sell by the 1/4 lb online, but I called them and worked out bulk prices. their shipping is low too.

Apple123

I tried Atlantic Spice and their stuff is weak.

Z Abdelwahed

Hi Garlic Friend, we are exporters of high quality spices from SriLanka, Cinnamon, Cloves, Black pepper, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Mace, White Pepper. (bulk) contact us if you would be interested - [email protected]

La Boîte à Epice, NYC - shop online or at their store on 11th Ave btwn 51st and 52nd
http://laboiteny.com/

Nice background article on them in Food and Wine:
http://www.foodandwine...

jamcook

I feel I should write in defense of Penzeys..I have no connection to them other than as a happy customer. I think their products are superb. they have the best vanilla and cinnamon, and all kinds of spices and blends that are hard to find. One of my kids moved to Wisconsin, and I got to know their stores too. The staff was helpful. and seemed genuinely happy to work there.
Bill Penzey is known locally as a philanthropist and a supporter of humanist and progressive causes. (teacher's rights, marriage equality and many more.) He has used his catalogues to showcase all sorts of community projects and the people who run them.
I am sure that if you write a letter to him, you will get a personal answer. Also, if you are ever in Wisconsin, go to the Milwaukee Zoo and take a ride on the Penzey's Carousel.

Sean R

In the interest of professionalism, I cannot give you details on the inner workings of this particular spice company. However, please consider these Glassdoor reviews from employees. Among staff, the perspectives shared here are considered to be pretty accurate: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Penzeys-Spices-Reviews-E374624.htm

I always point Penzeys fans to The Spice House as their products are exactly the same, but roughly 30% cheaper.

Voted the Best Answer!

Mary Kelly

Bill Penzey's opinions have no place in business. He's not a philanthropist - he's an ugly bigoted person and I will never buy from Penzeys again - keep your politics out of business is what I say.

Mary Kelly

Sean R

Mary, that's a bit below the belt. If you've met him and he treated you with cruel prejudice, I might understand.
If you disagree with Mr. Penzey's business practices (as many others do!), aim your criticism there. Not at the human being who deserves a chance to defend themselves.

Quick reminder of healthy commenting guidelines: BNBR, Be Nice Be Respectful.

THE MATH CHEF

Peppermate.com is an excellent source!

ChezHenry

Kalustyan's in NYC, with their online store at www.kalustyans.com.

Foodie

I was a happy customer of Penzeys until they started sending out political rants to their customers. The last one supported the riots.

Maze

I too was a customer of Penzey's till Mr Bill started sending offensive e-mails that had nothing to do with spices. I did write to him and heard nothing back. Thankfully there are better choices out there.

Cary

I agree as well. I sent an email saying I did not give them my contact information to receive their political views, whether I agreed or not. I asked that they stop misusing customer information, but never heard a word. I am shopping around for a new company now too.

Sean R

If you are looking for a reliable substitution, The Spice House is run by Bill Penzeys' sister. Supposedly, they use the same supply chains and they definitely use the same recipes for blends. You'll get fresher stuff from The Spice House since they grind and mix in small batches (not the case for Penzeys).

DM
DM

Rather than get everything from one source specializing in all spices, seek out the ethnic grocery stores in your area that serve a single community. They won't have everything, but they will have many, many things. Most importantly, there will be very high turnover of spices, guaranteeing freshness. And since they are likely to have customers who return every week, who cook that cuisine at home, you have the best possible quality control: local home cooks who won't stand for a crummy product. Finally, they are likely to have the most reasonably priced spices, as for locals in that culinary community, this is what you put on the table every day, not an indulgence.

Though I don't cook or eat Armenian food, a local Armenian grocery has become my best local spice store, along with a hole in the wall South Asian grocery.

Brett Pharis

Check out Starlight Herb & Spice Company's products. My aunt and uncle started the biz years ago and sell fantastic products, including their own rubs, blends, and flavored salts + sugars. Anyways, give em a shot at www.starlightherb.com

RD
RD

I have found the best online site to order Spices, dried peppers and herbs.
http://www.yourfavoritepantry.com
everything I have ordered from them is just the best smell and taste.
they also have some other cool stuff and say more is to come. cant wait.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

The Spice House.

Jan Weber

Seconded the Spice House, online and in-store. A fantastic resource for Greater Chicagoland.

Bob
Bob

Buying herbs and spices online, UK try http://spicewells.co.uk/

Bob
Bob

We don't have a Spice House in the UK - wish we did. Recommend these guys in the UK https://spicewells.co.uk. I've ordered twice now, been given extra and found everything to be top dollar (or first class as we might say over here).

karen

If you're across the ocean in Asia then go for www.regencyspices.hk absolutely the best spices I've ever had in my life.

WileyP

I have found My Spice Sage (www.myspicesage.com) does a pretty good job. Their prices tend to be just a bit higher that Penzy's, but all orders ship for free, making them less expensive in the long run. Once you buy from them, you will start receiving offers once or twice a week for free spices with a minimum order. Some of the deals are certainly worthy of consideration.

Jeff

I have been trying several companies for a long time and have found that they were not always consistently fresh. Than I decided to try Prima spices, who I found while doing internet search. They have great customer service and they always send me fresh stuff. For sure worth a try. Here's the link: https://primaspices.com/store/pc/home.asp

Mary Kelly

I will never shop Penzeys again. You are right about the company, and they have now gotten extreme political, which has nothing to do with selling spices. I'll never buy from them again. Try Dean and Delucca.

Deborah McLaren

For organic Indian spices www.ancientindianspices.com Small batches, authentic recipes. Spice and tea-related gifts. Start-up so support us!

Bubba Fontaine

Sean, I've voted neither for Wallace nor Trump. It seems inconsistent for you to defend Mr. Penzey by saying that Mary "hit below the belt" because of her reaction to Bill Penzey calling her (if she voted for Trump) and millions of Americans racists when he's surely not personally met each of them. That is not only political bigotry, it's blatant ignorance and arrogance. If you don't like President Trump talk about or to him, don't attack his millions of voters you don't know. Have you tried growing your own spice garden? We may all have to farm soon. Bubba

Wendy

I just wanted to mention that I have been ordering from myspicesage.com for a few years now. I have never been disappointed with anything I have ordered from them - everything has arrived very fresh. They also ship all orders over ten dollars free I believe. I hope this info helps someone. At any rate, it gives you another place to compare available products, prices, etc.

Norma

Just placed a fairly large order with them. They had a great coupon code and free shipping. Looking at their roster of products I am VERY hopeful this is my new spice vendor 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Suzi

Check out smithandtruslow.com. Freshly ground organic spices. Excellent!

Jenn Pimentel

Two Snooty Chefs! www.twosnootychefs.com

kyle h

Morton & Bassett spices are top notch. Not to be confused with morton salt. Morton & Bassett has been around since the 80s and never had a recall on any product... something that can't be said for other big brands. While they aren't cheap, you really can't beat the quality. All natural, non-gmo, non-irradiated, gluten-free, kosher, etc, etc. I highly recommend you give them a try.. they can be found in stores throughout the US.

http://www.mortonbassett.com/about.html

Marcia

Here is another spices online store https://www.ruralspices.com/. They have both whole and ground spices. Top class!!

Not an all-purpose supplier, Zingerman's (in Ann Arbor and online) has good blends, peppercorns and some unusual items (e.g., fennel pollen earlier than most suppliers).
https://www.zingermans.com/Category.aspx?Category=spices

Malinda

I'm not quite sure that this is an active thread anymore.But me and my friend have a start-up company to export Sri Lankan black-pepper.If there is Garlic Fiend or any potential buyers,just drop me an email to [email protected] you!

LK
LK

Bucks 5th Ave, the Spice Lady, has really passed its heydey and acts more as a retirement home for her these days. Be careful what you buy and how long it has been there. There was mold in some of the jars, cookies of questionable age scattered across the counter ("which she offerred to us incessently") and she coughed into our order, picking up the last bit off the counter, right into the bag with her bare fingers and then back to her cheese sandwhich. She literally made us wait to pay while she ran someone out of the shop for not agreeing with her political opinions and then engaged us in a long tirade. Like so much of downtown Olympia, it is history.

xinekim

I purposely support Penzey’s BECAUSE of their support of civil rights, civil liberties, and justice for all, and switched from being a long-time Spice House customer to do so. I also boycott companies that openly support anti-choice and anti-gay policies. Isn’t that spicy?!

Jenn Pimentel

Twosnootychefs.com

Gerald

I as well am now presently looking and making phone calls to different spice companies, and have decided to never again use Penzey's. They get so darn political, and it serves no purpose for a business to do such. I'd admonish ALL to stay clear of Penzey spices!

Jessica Toal

Admonishing strangers on the internet who disagree with your views is....

Love Penzey's - always fresh, great options. Will look at the Glassdoor reviews, however.

V Wood
added about 2 months ago

I left Penzey's because of all their political emails. When I told them about it they were very condescending so I don't order from them anymore. The Spice House online is where I go now. Very good prices and service.