🔕 🔔

Romaine and Boston/Butter Lettuce Storage Question

Best way to store each of these in the fridge? I buy both fresh (not packaged). I always seem to be throwing them away after 3 or 4 days. I usually wash, spin and store in a covered pyrex---which is obviously not working! Thank you!

asked by bamcnamara over 5 years ago

Don't wash until you are ready to use.

1dcc7c21 a794 442f 8a5f 1be76ddd7b94  you doodle 2017 02 12t14 57 20z

Wash, spin thoroughly, dry the rest gently, store in paper or cloth -- these all right on. What I like to do is leave the plastic bag open to some ventilation so I do not close the the zip lock or what ever other bag I use when storing in the refrigerator. In my experience, not washing can sometimes help, but when all is said and done, lettuce is a fragile product with a short shelf life.