Where can I find dried currents?

ukimmeru
ukimmeru June 6, 2012

Do you mean in the Whole Foods store itself, or in a locale in particular?

I could relate so much to your questions in that we recently moved to Virginia,where I have been exceedingly surprised and frustrated that I could not find dried currants anywhere!

It had to wait until we came back to Massachusetts to visit, wherein I promptly stocked up on several containers from our local whole foods (where they are stocked in the dry fruits/bulk aisle.

AntoniaJames June 6, 2012

Most dried "currants" in the U.S., at least here in the SF Bay Area, are actually Zante raisins, i.e., made from grapes, not currants. Occasionally we can get fresh currants, so I plan to dry my own this year. ;o)

bugbitten
bugbitten June 8, 2012

Curiously, a national brand, Sunmaid, calls them "Zante Currants."

Tarragon
Tarragon June 7, 2012

I buy them in Whole Foods (the bulk bins or prepackaged by the store itself) or a gourmet market. Every once in a while I see them in my regular grocery with the boxed raisins and other dried fruits (Sunmaid). I live in the Miami area.

JanetFL
JanetFL June 7, 2012

Currants appear in my Publix in South Florida only around Thanksgiving/Christmas. However, my Colorado grocery store, City Market, carries them year round. If you ask Customer Service, they might be able to do a special order for you.