🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Chewy Chocolate Meringues

79ece48c 67b4 4115 9f21 116c8aea19f9  food52 06 05 12 3303

I have a question about the recipe "Chewy Chocolate Meringues" from Riki Shore. I have made meringues several times with highly variable results. When most successful, the results provide a meringue that has a delicate crunch on the outside and a tender chewy center. When least successful, the product is flattened, no crunch and it becomes sticky upon sitting. Although I love the concept, I have been discouraged and reluctant to continue trying these. I live in IN and I wonder if humidity is the culprit in my failed attempts.

asked by Lorenza over 4 years ago

Humidity will certainly encourage stickiness. When your meringues are flat, though, there is a good chance that you had some egg yolk in your whites. The tiniest amount contains enough fats to cause the protein chains in the whites to literally slip apart and be unable to maintain loft when whipped. Also, be sure that your whip and bowl are absolutely clean. Persevere!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I totally agree with boulangere. And I've found that a good pinch of kosher salt with the egg whites helps them beat up beautifully and quickly. I've never used the technique in the recipe you asked about; I'll have to try it.

This is the recipe I use for meringues: