🔕 🔔

Question About Frozen Shrimp

Just defrosted a bag of cooked shrimp, ugh..it appears to have a bit of freezer burn...is it OK to eat? Will it change the taste? The shrimp has been kept in a deep freezer so it never defrosted

asked by CandaceT almost 6 years ago

Although I usually avoid cooked shrimp, I have had this happen too. Its hard to tell if it happened in your freezer or from mishandling at the grocer (freeze-thaw cycles). Anyway, the quality is not terribly impacted unless really burned. The fact that they are already "cooked" shrimp lessens the probability that there is a bacterial issue, just a slight quality issue. I would go ahead and use them. If the burn is real bad, and the shrimp are really discolored, I would skip it, a little burn is not an issue...

Yes, it is ok to eat. But there are certain considerations that you should keep in mind before cooking.

Suppose you have semi-burnt shrimps, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t eat them. You need to look at its color depth (effect of change in color) and how it smells.

In case, there is a little change in its color and you notice saltwater smell out of the shrimps. It is probably ideal for eating them without having a second thought. If you want to more about freezer burn shrimp you can check this: https://foodgear.org/freezer...