Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Taste modification

Black tea is supposed to have a bitter aftertaste of tannins. However, i noticed that after eating chewing gum with flavourings sorbitol malitol manitol aspartame and sucralose, the tea taste mildly sweet. It is as though im drinking a mild sugar solution. When I drank the tea, it was at room temperature and i have exhauted the chewing gum flavor. Possible explaination?(using actual science)

asked by cel3ritas over 4 years ago

Food52 Hotline is a crowd sourced method for answering cooking related questions. The members are more cooks than scientists, but there is always a chance someone will come along with an answer for you.

I'm no scientist, but certain foods can affect the way other foods taste. What you are noticing with artificial sweeteners is most likely is caused by a protein in the sweetener that binds to the taste bud (or taste receptor) and changes the way the receptor perceives flavors. See http://www.nytimes.com...

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Ahem…

I have not come across any information regarding reactions to non-nutritive sweeteners such as you describe. Is it possible your reaction was due to another component of the gum, mint or cinnamon perhaps, overloading your taste receptors? I'd try to duplicate the effect but I avoid those compounds like the plague because of a digestive sensitivity to at least some of them.