Kombucha troubleshooting

I've been brewing kombucha for a short time now, but I'm having trouble with this one batch. It's 12 days old, made with sugar, mother (from a green tea batch), starter, and black tea (regular no oil).

It formed a new SCOBY but instead of clarifying like the other batches, it has become more opaque, almost milky. There is a fine white sediment on the bottom and does not smell very acidic... instead it has a hint of decay in the smell.

Any idea what's happened? Is it possible to selvage this batch?

dymnyno November 1, 2013
If you are afraid of tasting it because it doesn't smell right, toss it out and start over with a new mother.Even commercial kombucha makers have a bad batch once in a while.

Trena H. October 29, 2013
Hi trampledbygeese! I love fermented foods too and have found a lot of answers to my fermenting issues on this forum. http://www.wildfermentation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=2f8ec4caefdeac6ee12def1c7ae8cff1