🔕 🔔

Kombucha troubleshooting

I've been brewing kombucha for a short time now, but I'm having trouble with this one batch. It's 12 days old, made with sugar, mother (from a green tea batch), starter, and black tea (regular no oil).

It formed a new SCOBY but instead of clarifying like the other batches, it has become more opaque, almost milky. There is a fine white sediment on the bottom and does not smell very acidic... instead it has a hint of decay in the smell.

Any idea what's happened? Is it possible to selvage this batch?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 4 years ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Hi trampledbygeese! I love fermented foods too and have found a lot of answers to my fermenting issues on this forum. http://www.wildfermentation...

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

If you are afraid of tasting it because it doesn't smell right, toss it out and start over with a new mother.Even commercial kombucha makers have a bad batch once in a while.