🔕 🔔

Is there an acid substitute for cirtrus or vinegar?

Co-worker has a food sensitivity to vinegar and is allergic to citrus. Trying to help her find a good acid to help balance meals.

asked by atexastwist over 5 years ago

4cc38b64 6692 42be 81f7 24b3e7bcda7f  img 2088

I'm not sure about the issues with allergies, but look into verjus and sumac as options.

9fe0c12c e20f 4669 bb88 2c31ee17d5e2  french river

Wine is always an option!! Depending on what you are planning on using it for, buttermilk is acidic as well. I also believe tomatoes are, but that's only because I've been told not to cook them in my cast iron, because the acid will hurt my seasoning!

Again, depends on what you are planning to do with it. I hope she's not allergic to wine, that would be horrible!! :)

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Vermouth, too. Tomatoes, definitely. Also, pomegranate molasses and tamarind paste are excellent for an acidic element.

3274dd01 68df 403c a7b7 dc04541caaf8  dsc 0102 2

Love the tamarind paste idea. I sometimes use yogurt in dressings along with or instead of acids. In addition to its bright flavor, I find that it creates dressings that are more refreshing than other egg or cheese-based creamy dressings.