Is there an acid substitute for cirtrus or vinegar?

Co-worker has a food sensitivity to vinegar and is allergic to citrus. Trying to help her find a good acid to help balance meals.

asked by atexastwist about 6 years ago

Christine

I'm not sure about the issues with allergies, but look into verjus and sumac as options.

TheFritschKitchen

Wine is always an option!! Depending on what you are planning on using it for, buttermilk is acidic as well. I also believe tomatoes are, but that's only because I've been told not to cook them in my cast iron, because the acid will hurt my seasoning!

Again, depends on what you are planning to do with it. I hope she's not allergic to wine, that would be horrible!! :)

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Vermouth, too. Tomatoes, definitely. Also, pomegranate molasses and tamarind paste are excellent for an acidic element.

Rachel Sanders

Love the tamarind paste idea. I sometimes use yogurt in dressings along with or instead of acids. In addition to its bright flavor, I find that it creates dressings that are more refreshing than other egg or cheese-based creamy dressings.