heating water to certain temp

i heat water for making bread & it needs to be a certain temp. are there any devices you can use that will heat water up to a temp w/out having to resort to adding hot/cold from the tap? seems like a waste of water... esp. in california.

asked by srcerer about 6 years ago

http://www.google.com/products...

Or anything similar to this. My friends love it for hot water at a moments' notice. I think you can set the temperature, though it will depend on the model. And it's not cheap, but it seems to be a blessing for warming baby bottles.

Caveat: regardless of how you heat your water, you're using electricity as well. So if you don't want to waste the water, collect pour-offs in a bottle or cup and then water your plans, the lawn, or your garden.

Have you tried using whiskey stones to maintain the temperature?

bugbitten

Halfpint, I'd just like to ditto your caveat by mentioning the unmeasurable amounts of hot pasta water that go through a sieve and right down the drain.

srcerer

Sure. I was thinking if I could heat 500ml water to 80 degrees in a small device, it would take but a few moments. For bread it could be anywhere from 65 to 110 degrees. I could offload my extra water for my garden too :-)

The warmers look good but they are set for too high of a temp (140 and up).

Thanks!

ChrisBird

Measure the amount you want. Run the microwave for 15 seconds. Take temp. Do 5 more seconds. Etc. Once you have got the temp you want, add up the times record them somewhere. Use that time in future. Depending on variability of starting temp add/subtract a few seconds...

srcerer

Yes, that would work. Except I don't have one nor am I eager to get one. Very good idea though!

ChrisBird

I just use room temperature water for all bread. I bake 4 times/week. I prefer long, slow rises. Makes figuring out when the bread will be done a bit tricky though.

ChrisBird

Sarah yes that would be an issue! You could do the same with a small pan on the stove top. Or boil water,and figure the ratio hot/cold to get desired temp.......

srcerer

My room temp varies so drastically - rom 60 to 90+. On on a good day it is 75-78. I also work with breads that take long, slow rieses too. Definitely tricky....

srcerer

I've actually used the stove to heat the water too. Then cooled it down with ice or putting in the freezer. Just takes a lot more time. I was just thinking with the availability of circulators for sous vide low temp cooking, maybe there would be something simple to warm up a little water to a certain degree. I know technologically it is possible but there doesn't seem to be a product. Esp. for such low temps.

How about those plug in coffee mug warmers? Fill up a mug and it'll probably reach a good temp while your kneeing the bread.

And Sam, after you knee the bread kick it in the face. If it gets off the ground again, well you're probably on the way to a good loaf.

In the temperature range you are trying to reach remember that your body temperature is about 98F so if you can stick your finger into the water without scalding yourself it's probably okay. Obviously you don't want to kill your yeast. The low end immersion circulators begin at about $500 which seems like and expensive solution to your problem.