🔕 🔔

What is a good kind of cheese?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

There are many! Depends on what you're looking for. Give us more detail and we'll try to answer.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

There are probably thousands of kinds of cheese. What is 'good' depends on what you want -- eating? cooking? sandwich? and your personal preference. If you want to learn about cheeses, buy the smallest amount you can of a range of cheeses, read articles and/or books, and make up your own mind.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Myself, I'll go with a washed rind epoisses. When you cut into it it should be stinky and runny and smell like the feet of God.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I have never smelled the feet of God - nothing to compare the flavor to.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I'll second susan g's suggestion that your personal preference is what matters.

I'd start by visiting to good cheese shop if you have one nearby - most will give tastes, and a really good one will know a lot about the cheeses they sell. Tell them how you'll eat the cheese (alone, on a sandwich, for cooking...) and your preferences - mild, sharp, smelly, creamy, hard, salty, etc. - and start tasting! Not only informative, but a lot of fun.