🔕 🔔

What makes red velvet cake, red velvet?

Is it just food coloring; vanilla base?

asked about 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

2-3 TB of cocoa powder and 2-3 teaspoons of red food coloring.

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

I might be wrong, but I believe the classic way is to use Beat Juice for color and flavor.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

My grandmothers recipe didn't use food coloring, just cocoa powder with boiling water added. Not bright red like some, more red/brown. Still delicious and one of my favorites to this day.

E3386595 b8fd 475c 9f1b e64acfa59530  img 2964

I believe these days it's just red food coloring, but as allans said above, it got it's name from the reddish color brought out from the cocoa powder. Wikipedia has a little history on it if you're interested-- http://en.wikipedia.org...