Freezing/eating a homemade frosted ice cream cake? Can I use cream cheese frosting?

Trying to make an ice cream cake for a friend who LOVES red velvet cake. I'm thinking red velvet cake + vanilla ice cream + cream cheese frosting. 3 Qs:

1) Will it be ok to eat the cake fairly frozen (i.e. only thawed enough for the ice cream to soften)? Will the cake and frosting be too frozen/hard?

2) Will the frosting sweat when the cake comes out of the freezer? If so, how might I prevent or handle this?

3) What's the best way to store the cake in the freezer befotehand (<12 hrs)?

Thanks, Foodpicklers! You all are the BEST!

• Posted by: tizzle
  • July 1, 2011

sdebrango July 1, 2011

Is this for a birthday cake? I suggest doing a red velvet cake baked on a sheet pan, cut out rounds and make individual ice cream cakes you serve immediately. You can pre cut the vanilla ice cream the same size as the cake fit them together and top with a dollop of cream cheese icing and maybe some chopped nuts. I think you could freeze a whole cake but like you said the cake would be partially frozen and the cream chesse icing also. I hope this helps and good luck with the cake.

tizzle
tizzle July 5, 2011

sdebrango: thanks for the suggestion! this was for a birthday cake, and we ended up doing a whole cake. i didn't do cupcakes (had too much else to make for a bbq), but will definitely hold onto that idea for a time when i have a little extra time.

i really appreciate your response-- it gave me the confirmation i needed to go forth and bake (and freeze). thanks!