Birthday cake ideas that are niether chocolate nor fruit.

I thought of tres leches, but beyond that, I'm drawing a blank. I do want to make a cake and not another kind of dessert. Any thoughts?

asked by vvvanessa over 6 years ago

Gibson2011

You could do a caramel cake, almond cake, spice cake, or a maple pecan cake. Just some ideas.

vvvanessa

Ooh. Or maybe some combination thereof!

What about an angel food cake with a flavored whipped cream or ice cream.

Carrot cake, it's a vegetable not a fruit! Cream cheese icing.

nutcakes

Coconut and lemon party cake? Dorrie Greenspan said this is the ultimate party cake. You can omit the raspberry preserves if it breaks you rules

http://www.rcc.edu/academicPrograms/nursing/files/VNinfosheet2011.pdf

For the love of God, don't google search 'lemon party'.

vvvanessa

Lemon party. Who knew?

lemonparty. ew.

nutcakes

Sorry for the bad link--here it is and it is called Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake, but you can omit the Raspberry preserves and just use the (fantastic) lemon buttercream.
http://www.nickmalgieri.com/

Go to Nick's website, click recipes then find the cake as named above.

Lemon party. oh my.

nutcakes

Here is Dorries version of the cake, with lucious pictures.
http://dinneranddessert.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/daring-bakers-march-challenge-dorie-greenspans-perfect-party-cake/

How about a Baked Alaska? And use sparklers instead of Candles. (light them with a blow torch after it comes out of the oven). But then again you can't blow out sparklers.

SeaJambon

I love it -- just know that sparklers indoors will set off your smoke detectors/sprinklers (don't ask how I know: it was a long time ago, in college, New Year's Eve and that's all I'm saying!)

ATL
ATL

You don't say whether this is for adults or children. Might make a difference on responses.

petitbleu

Pound cake all the way. With ice cream? None better.

ATG117

I love almond cakes: http://www.davidlebovitz...

You can also make any type of white or yellow cake with a frosting of your choice--cream cheese, cinnamon, and caramel come to mind. Red velvet and coconut (Ina Garten has a good one) are other alternatives.

Or what about an olive oil or polenta cake? This olive oil rendition looks beautiful: http://food52.com/recipes...
Just leave out the orange zest, since you don't want fruity. You can sub regular OJ for the blood orange juice called for. This, in my mind, wouldn't make it a fruity cake; you shouldn't be able to detect it much.

For a polenta cake: http://www.seriouseats...

Would a coffee cake fit the bill? I generally don't think of it as party food, but I love anything with a crumb topping.

Kukla

May be I am not too modest, but you can take a look at my cake: “Smetannik” (Russian cake with sour cream frosting). I made this cake a month ago for a friends’ birthday party and all the guests loved it. I even posted new photos of the cake which were taking at the party.

vvvanessa

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone. The cake is for a mixed crowd of kids and adults, though probably it will be mostly adults eating it. Now I have the opposite problem and have to decide which to make!

I went to birthday tonight and they used those "joke" candles. That would relight after trying to blow them out---all fine and well good fun. But be warned. Even when you have those things 'out' they can relight after you take them out---so put them in some water.

strawberry shortcake. have fun!

oops fruit, my bad.

You can start with sdebrango's fabulous Tender Yellow Cake as a base, and frost as you like, with vanilla, caramel, coffee-toffee or other icing...

oops, here's the link: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Hilarybee

Coffee....Cinnamon...caramel...together.