can marinated bocconcini go bad?

I'm embarrassed to say that I've run across a tub of marinated bocconcini (technically the label reads "marinated celigene mozzarella cheese") in the back of my fridge. It expired in September of last year (for those keeping track, it is now July). I've opened the container, sniffed the cheese and handled it. It seems to have the proper consistency and doesn't smell bad. I concede that it's not optimally fresh, but is it still safe to eat? I'd love to add it to my tomato & basil salad.

asked by Bemie almost 6 years ago

Nozlee Samadzadeh

I would toss it. Better safe than sorry...think of it this way: if your bocconcini was a child, it'd be close to speaking its first words right now.

Bemie

I'm the type of person who is unafraid of yogurt that expired six months ago. That has always worked out fine for me. But "aged" bocconcini is uncharted territory for me.

Pitch it! It is not safe to eat.