A question about a recipe: Summer Weekend Pasta

44260ada c00a 468d 8346 bfda541cbc6e  food52 07 10 12 2 83

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Summer Weekend Pasta" from amanda. It says:

"Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, spread the bacon in a large saute pan, add the garlic clove, and set over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it's crisp and its fat has rendered. As you remove the bacon from the heat, stir in the red pepper flakes." Is there a non meat option to substitute here?

asked by macha almost 6 years ago

Amanda's recipe is a riff on the classic Roman l'amatriciana; bacon or guanciale or pancetta. If you want to omit the bacon you can just go fra diavolo; butter or olive oil (or both) with tomato and hot pepper. BUT you really can't substitute anything for the bacon flavor. And if anyone suggests portabello mushrooms I promise to come down and toilet paper their house.

Benny

I suggest portabello mushrooms.

Benny, I have the 12 pack of Cottonelle. Coming your way.

Yes, I like Pierino's suggestion. Some tomatoes, but not too much.

caroberts77

You could add in a little smoked mozzarella at the end to get that smoky flavor in the dish.

Panfusine

Mushrooms and fried sun dried tomatoes...

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I suppose you could try one of the "fake-bacon" "fakon" products, but honestly you might just consider making a different type of dish. It seems to me that both the bacon itself and the resulting bacon fat are too integral and, like a Porsche, there is no substitute! :)

PFossil

I was thinking a little ricotta salata, crumbled or cubed, at the very end to add the saltiness from the bacon.