🔕 🔔

What is the best variety of potato to use for mashed potatoes? I'll be stirring some roasted onions (or, I'm now thinking, onions caramelized in a skillet on the stove) and some ricotta and creme fraiche into the potatoes after cooking and mashing them. Thank you! ;o)

asked almost 7 years ago

I've always used russets, but recently tried the yukon gold potatoes and they were wonderful, I mean really wonderful, mashed potatoes. The seem to be alot smoother (less grainy? though I've never throught of russets as grainy until I compared the texture of both)) than the russets. On one batch we peeled them, on a second we left the peels on and mashed them in with the potatoes. Loved them both ways, but it was nice to have the little bit of texture from the peel for a change.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Mr L will tell you russets all the way! He is the King Of Potato Mashing :-)

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

In general, I think Russetts/Idahos/starchy are better for mashing, whereas a Yukon Gold/waxy is better for potato salads.

mrslarkin. I had always been under the impression that the Yukons were waxy, too, so I had never thought to mash them. The first time we used those small ones that I get at the farmers as whole boiled parsley potatos, I realized how creamy and soft they were. The ones I mashed were small, not as small as the baby creamer style of potato, but about 2-3 inches in diameter. They would have been too soft for a potato salad

Russets again, here. And the tool to use is a large potato ricer (once the taters have cooled enough to handle, but still warm). You will get a much smoother mash.

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

I grew up with russets and used red potatoes for a long time. The trouble with the reds is that if you over work them, they can get a 'gluey' texture. I find the yukon golds are fluffier than the reds and finer than the russets with a very appetizing color which makes it seem like they are extra buttery.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I personally like the small blue potatoes, lightly smashed. Full on mash, I like russets mashed with cream.

I have equal luck with russets or the large Yukon golds (or just generic "gold or yellow" potaotes). But only if the latter are large. Not like new potatoes, or babies. The new potatoes I see (either red or white) range between the size of a large egg to a small-ish baseball. Those are far too waxy for mashed/smashed potatoes.

The larger "golds" are about the size of a softball or a smaller russet. They work fine, as a matter of fact, they're on the menu for tomorrow's dinner.

Man, I envy you folks. We get zero variety in the potato department down here.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I love Yukons or russets - for the full-on traditional mashed with butter, milke & salt, it's russets all the way. If I'm stirring in anything else (as you are AntoniaJames) I prefer the extra silkiness of the Yukons. and yes, as mentioned before, a ricer (or food mill) makes for a gorgeous bowl of mashed potatoes.

8fa0f8d4 835b 492f a30f 05fa2f72d82b  pict0361

Russets work best in my experience, although Yukon Golds are a good second choice. Whatever you use, I want to come to your house and try them with caramelized onions and creme fraiche. Yum!