🔕 🔔

What types of late summer fruit can I preserve in booze?

I had my heart set on canning boozy cherries and saving them until December to use as holiday gifts -- but they're no longer at the market. What other types of late summer fruit would be good to preserve in booze (and, while we're at it, what booze would be good)?

asked by Brette Warshaw about 5 years ago

I've always liked rum and berries liqueur (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry). I just through them into a bottle with some rum and sugar, then leave in a cabinet. You can even do this with frozen berries. It's a recipe that's in Preserved by Nick Sandler & Johnny Acton.

Sorry that should be "throw" not "through".

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Prunes in armagnac are the best!

Nice, but pricey.

Very true--I almost included that point myself!

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Cherries, I always brandy some cherries to put in French 75s later in the year. They are good on ice cream too.

Any stone fruit halved with vodka! Plums are my favorite.
A really crisp apple in brandy.

ATL

Peaches in brandy are sensational.

Figs in port + brandy + a few anise seeds. And peaches in brandy + Slivovitz. (Slivovitz is just about every fruit's best friend when making preserves.) Incidentally, I got the very last cherries on the last day that they were available, for precisely this purpose -- putting into jars with brandy. I like to add a few dark raisins for the subtle flavor they add, as well as a vanilla bean, which I then re-use, once the fruit has been eaten, to scent vanilla sugar. (It's amazing.) For any fruit I put up in booze, I save the syrup until spring and summer, to use in spritzers or slightly boozey Friday afternoon slushies, made with frozen homemade almond milk (sort of a first cousin to Amanda's almond ice with cherries). I also paint the syrup generously on cream scones, a few minutes before they're done cooking. Mmmmm. ;o)