🔕 🔔

What is Celtic sea salt

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

The Breton region (especially along the ocean) of France still speaks Gaelic within families and small village as a second language, French being their first, hence the Celtic nomenclature. In fact, fisherman from Wales, Scotland, Jersey and Ireland, who continue to speak Gaelic can communicate with one another when out to sea. In the Breton region, they harvest salt in the marshes by creating pools at high tide that capture the sea water and then allowing it to evaporate, leaving behind mounds of salt, along with lots of other "gifts" from the sea. The grey, moist sea salt from this region is my favorite to use in cooking, though a pain to grind in a sea grinder(very wet), hence I keep salt cellars around the kitchen and tables and let people grab the salt they need. If you are looking for the best quality and supply of real Celtic salt, go to Selina Naturally web site. Selina Delange has been importing Celtic sea salt into the USA for many years and knows where to get the best supply.

Well said, Usuba Dashi. Too many of the various "artisan" sea salts on sale are nothing more than clever marketing. I've listened to people tell me that salt of any type is nothing more than sodium chloride but you really can taste the difference in flavor from trace mineral content. And of course your boxed salts from the market usually have stuff like "flowing agents'. Yum.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I have read that what makes Celtic salt distinct from other artisanal sea salts is that the beds where the salt evaporate are clay. The salt thus has both sea and earth minerals, adding to both taste and nurture.