🔕 🔔

Chicken Smells Like Sulfur

I bought chicken from a reputable store yesterday and refrigerated it immediately, and when I opened it just now, it smells a little like sulfur. Has it gone bad?

asked by Meatballs&Milkshakes almost 6 years ago

Ophelia

Toss it. Sulfur is one of the things chicken definitely shouldn't smell of and it's way better to be safe than sorry when it comes to food poisoning.

I've had the same experience as Kristen W. I returned a whole chicken a day after I'd bought it from a local market because of its "off" smell. The meat manager said he was glad I told him rather then telling everyone else I know.

Yes it has gone bad. Return it along with your receipt.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

Thanks everyone, I threw it out and contacted the store. Most importantly, I didn't risk it. Appreciate the answers!