Chicken Smells Like Sulfur

I bought chicken from a reputable store yesterday and refrigerated it immediately, and when I opened it just now, it smells a little like sulfur. Has it gone bad?

Ophelia
Ophelia July 30, 2012

Toss it. Sulfur is one of the things chicken definitely shouldn't smell of and it's way better to be safe than sorry when it comes to food poisoning.

Voted the Best Reply!

Kristen W.
Kristen W. July 30, 2012

I have no idea what the sulphur smell would indicate, bit I wouldn't eat it. In fact, I'd take it back to the store and politely tell the manager about it. I bought rancid meat once from a supermarket I knew and liked, and when I took it back the manager was extremely gracious and told me that he WANTED to know about things like that to prevent it from happening again (they also replaced the meat at no extra cost).

boulangere July 30, 2012

I've had the same experience as Kristen W. I returned a whole chicken a day after I'd bought it from a local market because of its "off" smell. The meat manager said he was glad I told him rather then telling everyone else I know.

SKK July 31, 2012

Yes it has gone bad. Return it along with your receipt.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

Thanks everyone, I threw it out and contacted the store. Most importantly, I didn't risk it. Appreciate the answers!