🔕 🔔

My olive oil turned a little cloudy. Is that bad? I just opened the bottle a week ago. I'll probably throw it out, since now I am paranoid and think it tastes a little off.

asked by mrslarkin about 7 years ago

Is it unfiltered olive oil? Then that is natural. Is it in a cool area or cooler than normal in your house? It should clear when it warms a bit, that is normal.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Thanks, nutcakes. It says "first cold pressed" on the label. It's Italian. Nothing fancy. It was on the stove all afternoon. Pretty warm in that spot. I put it back in the pantry and I'll check it tomorrow.

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

If the oil got cold , that may be the reason it is cloudy. If it tastes good, there is no problem. I make an olive oil that sometimes has particles in it. It has never been a problem...I just watch when I get to the bottom of the bottle. (and usually forget and dump that in too!)

First Cold Press doesn't exclude Unfiltered as well. Is it a brand you usually buy and you are sure it was clear and now cloudy? I wouldn't panic and dump. I can't think that something would get in it to turn it, but I like to be careful too. Good idea to check tomorrow. Sometimes your mind can play tricks on your tastebuds.

Olive oil is surprisingly durable although its flavor degrades over time. I once made the error of leaving a bottle of good California stuff in my car trunk overnight when I was parked at a hotel and the temperatures dropped to below freezing. It thawed out okay but it certainly didn't improve on the taste. I think too, that we should introduce a drinking game here, where if anybody says "EVOO" they are required to take a shot of straight extra virgin olive oil.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Can you ask at the store? Perhaps if the think there's something wrong with it they'll replace it for you.

Ead63f8f 0557 4ebc 96b9 c8ed4d855263  65158 10200930358201562 954577392 n

Oh no, please don't throw ; ) My favorite olive oils are unfiltered and the cloudy bottom is nothing to worry about. Of course, if it is filtered, it could be an indication of degradation, but giving it a quick sip to figure that out will not harm you. Does it indicate a harvest date? If it definitely tastes rancid, take it back to the store and ask for a new bottle. It's frustrating when stores sell EVOO (shot!) past their prime. Regardless, putting your EVOO (shot!) on the stove not a good idea. Pierino, starting to feel tipsy.